Answers

• bolivar 01/04/08 6:25 pm PST

Here is a link to spec for a 2002. I think they would be about the same.

Remember, google is your friend. Use it. This line came from googling '1999 Ford Ranger Specifications'

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/02ranger.
    p...

As you can see, it depends on what engine you have, and it looks like the 4.10 was an option. So, 3.73 or 4.10 could be the original spec for a supercab 4x4.

• jcrowley 01/05/08 8:38 am PST

Thanks for the reply.
    As soon as I saw your answer it hit me. I had found the info the frist time I had a problem.
    Its a code on the door sticker.
    The web site you referenced has the info on one of their pages.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Source: http://www.fordf150.net/howto/decode.ph
    p

• extremebigdog 01/05/08 11:51 am PST

I know the question is answered about the standard gear ratio but there is more to say about having a different gear ratio in front and back. When in 2wd it is most likely fine but 4WD will cause problems.

The drive train will bind at the transfer case because the front and rear are spinning at different speeds. On a loose surface the binding will release by hopping the tires periodically but this still causes stress on all the components. If you are on a surface with more traction the binding will cause failure of the gears because there is no release and the pressure exerted on the gears will keep increasing.

Its hard to determine what the actual gear ratio is. You have to open up the differential cover and spin the wheel by hand until you can see numbers on the big gear. Then you can do a calculation from the numbers to get the ratio.

If you can post the numbers here then we can convert them to the actual ratio.

Top Transmission Experts View More