• avatar docj 10/22/08 5:06 pm PST

Both lights may have come on due to a charging system(alternator) failure.This is what keeps the battery charged while driving.If there is a voltage loss or low voltage it will turn on the battery light and in a lot of vehicles the ABS light and the brake warning light.
    Also the brake light could be on due to just being low on fluid,enough to turn on the light,also could be a failure in the hydraulic system of the brakes.Another possibility still could be an ABS system failure..you didnt mention which light,abs or red brake warning light.
    Since he replaced the battery,get the charging system checked..Autozone and others will do this for free.

Doc J

Answers

• docj 10/22/08 5:06 pm PST

Doc J

• coolrideracing 10/22/08 5:27 pm PST

There is no indicator for bad battery. The indicator lights come on when the ignition key is turned to the on position. When you start the engine they should all go off. As long as the engine continues to run they should stay off. When the light comes on it identifies that the charging system has failed. First reaction should have been to pull over and turn the engine off. Open the hood, and check to see if all the belts are still there. If you have lost the alternator belt, replace it. The reason I had you turn the engine off ASAP is because in a lot or cars the alternator belt also powers the water pump too - and your car can overheat. Check #2 - start the engine, turn the headlights on, if lights are dim, then you are running off the battery and the alternator or regulator has failed. If this failure has just occurred, then your battery should still have a charge in it. Your car should be able to run off the battery without lights for 30 miles. Since your husband has already replaced the battery, drive it to the nearest auto parts store and they should check the charging system for FREE. They are hoping to sell you a new alternator, most auto parts stores are very honest, they want your repeat busniess. Sorry about the new battery - but in probably needed to be replaced soon. BRAKE light - it is true on most cars when you use the e-brake a light lights up until you release it. But also a brake light will come on when the master cylinder is low on brake fluid. It is divided in two sections, front and rear, either section will light the light. If this is the case, immediately fill it up with brake fluid. Then take it in and have the brakes checked. FREE comment - car has 140,000 miles on it, it has been good to you, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Good luck.

• mrsfor 10/22/08 6:31 pm PST

Thanks for your help - both of you. We'll have the charging system checked at the auto parts store tomorrow and have the brakes looked at by a mechanic. I've got 2 small kids, and definitely don't want to run the risk of a brake issue while driving them!!! I really appreciate your time!!!

• mikebmx81 05/15/09 3:18 pm PST

Did you ever fix this? My 2001 Montero Sport XLS is doing the exact same thing. I noticed on mine that the interior lights would intermittently pulse at idle, and the temp would go slightly above normal on occasion. I had replaced my battery about a month ago once it went dead, About 2 weeks later my alternator had failed, which was also replaced.

• mikebmx81 05/16/09 12:35 am PST

Had it at the dealership today. The reman alternator I got from Autozone was bad. It was putting out 17.4 Volts (or amps, not sure how its measured) Replaced the alternator and the problem was fixed.

• swaeltermann 12/20/09 4:12 pm PST

I am having same problem in 2000 Montero Sprot XLS 3.0L Except I did have Auto Zone check my battery and my altenator. Battery tested bad and altenator tested fine. After replacing the battery and terminals it was fine for a while. Here I am 3 (yes, 3) months later with same issue, replaced battery with one I pulley.Same issue though mostly: RED BRAKE warning indicator, red battery lights, and SOMETIMES (usually happens when battery is about completely dead) an ORANGE ANIT-LOCK brake light flashes. Sometimes car will die , or not start from battery being dead, will have to jump to start. Any ideas?

• scanman1 01/28/11 4:04 pm PST

Bad alternator will cause abs,brake lite and battery lite to come on, on most imports and some domestic cars. When alternator stopps charging the abs system shuts down to conserve battery life or time until discharged, it also is a warning that the abs system is not working because the abs system require alot of energy from electrical system to properly work and be efficient. Its kinda like a double warning system. Vehicle is not safe to drive and it going leave you stranded.

• srqfish 05/10/11 6:22 pm PST

Yes, another 2001 Montero Sport with a similar problem. Can't find a answer that jives with my issues, so figured I'd add on to see if anyone has any suggestions. My Montero has the engine light, brake light and battery lights on. The engine, I already know, is an O2 sensor issue. Just replaced the battery yesterday and took my car to the dealership immediately after chaging the batter b/c the lights were still on. Dealer checked alternator and said it was fine. (Of course, the battery & brake lights went off just before I got there!) Was told that after changing batteries and resetting the computer code, you have to let the car run with the AC on for 15 min so it can reset completely. Ummm.....okay. The lights stayed off, but came back on this morning. Went off after driving for a while, but came back on when I drove in the afternoon. Same story. Off again after about 15 min. This is driving me crazy! I plan on going to AutoZone, but the dang lights will probably go off before I get there. I should be thankful - maybe? Also - just changed 2 solenoids, the oil, replaced the timing belt and replaced some leaking valves. If anyone has suggestions, PLEASE let me know.

Top Electrical Instrument Panel Experts View More