• avatar karjunkie 12/01/08 10:06 am PST

Wheel bearing failure usually is indicated when it growls or grinds and the noise gets louder with speed or turning. Even though that's not your symptoms, I would still check it as a bad bearing is a dangerous condition. You probably don't have a bad CV joint. The symptom of that is a loud clunk or clicking noise. Sometimes due to inadequate lubrication in either the inner or outer CV joint you may get some growling, but this symptom is more often due to worn or damaged wheel bearings, a bad intermediate shaft bearing on equal length halfshaft transaxles, or due to worn shaft bearings within the transaxle or differential. Check your CV boots for tearing or cracking to be sure. I suspect your problem is worn shaft bearings within the front differential. The fact that the noise is completely cancelled in 2WD confirms this diagnosis. The front diff does not disengage under decelleration, but I suspect you hear it then because the diff is not under load and the sound is much more apparent.

Answers

• haynesmanuel 12/01/08 9:55 am PST

it is your wheel bearing assembly, sounds exactly like the problem i had with my 2000sierra, and the noise isnt heard during excelleration due to the vilocity and revolutions per second it would be like hearing a chain hanging from the back of your bumper at ten miles per hour but excellerate to 45 and you wont hear it as much or not at all! good luck!

Top GMC Sierra 2500HD Experts View More

5. zolecki 25
7. colin_l 10