Answers

• dstarinieri 06/27/10 6:41 pm PST

I have a 32' with a Ford V-10 and get 5-10 MPG depending on wind, hills and on and on. Check out RV.net, its just like edmunds for the RV crowd. If your on a budget an RV is not the way to go. If you have a $20,000 motorome budget it will be 10 years old in most cases to buy a well cared for one. When they break they are very expensive to fix, and they will break, even my 2 year old one needs regular repairs.

My wife and I took off for a year in '99/'00 and did about 30,000 miles in our minivan. We spent about $26,000 for the whole year, including a couple of months busing around Mexico. I don't know how cheap you want to go, but we mostly tent camped in the US and Canada, with some breaks staying with friends and relatives.

Our van gets around 21 mixed driving and we got as much as 29 mpg on the road trip. We would have had to cut our trip in half if we had to fill up an RV everyday. But you have to like sleeping on the ground. :-)

A conversion van may be an option, but I guess it depends on how big your family is too.

• dstarinieri 06/27/10 7:41 pm PST

What kind of car do you have? You might be able to pull a tent trailer. Used nice ones are not that much money.

A pop-up trailer is the cheapest way to go, gas and cost-wise (next to a tent, of course). You might rent one if you can to see if you like it.

Top Truck Experts View More