Answers

The VW New Beetle, believe it or not, fits larger people well.

Cars usually offer no choice for heavier-duty suspension systems. But you could install beefier shocks if needed. Trucks and truck-based SUVs come with better springs and offer more choices for stiff suspensions. You'll have to try out a few for size, as you need to consider access, comfort and general fit, as well as suspension strength. Good Luck.

• stephen987 02/10/10 1:48 pm PST

Overweight people come in many shapes, of course. So it may not be possible to predict exactly what will fit best, but here are some suggestions:

VW New Beetle--it has a lot of space in the front, and can accommodate heavy and tall people surprisingly well. The back seat is useless, though.

Toyota Avalon. I have a friend who is overweight and mobility impaired, as well as very tall. Her Avalon is a very good fit for her.

Hyundai Sonata. The range of seat adjustment in the Sonata is very wide, so it's probably easier to get comfortable in one of these than in most midsize sedans.

Hyundai Elantra. The roomiest compact car on the market, by a considerable margin.

You might also try to find a recent Ford Crown Victoria. It has a front bench seat, which many larger people find more comfortable. Not sure about the legroom though.

One other possibility might be a crossover or SUV of some sort. In particular, the Buick Enclave, a big car-based SUV/crossover, is very spacious and comfortable (but expensive).

Good luck in your search. Sometimes the only way to figure out what works best is to try a bunch of different models on, perhaps at a local auto show where there is no pressure to purchase.

• mr_automd 02/23/10 1:32 am PST

There are a number of vehicles that you might want to look into. The Traverse, Arcadia and the Enclave because the room is wide and spacious. The VW Beetle could also be an option because of its hemispherical shape.

• mr_automd 02/23/10 1:39 am PST

You can also consider the XC90..

• slvbeard 04/26/10 3:28 pm PST

Buick Lacrosse, Buick Lucerne, Chevy Silverado, Chevy Impala, Chevy Equinox, Chevy Traverse, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Journey.

I'm sure there are others as well.

• horton174 11/23/12 6:47 pm PST

I'm a big guy, 6'-3", 450 lbs. Currently driving '04 Chevy Monte Carlo 8 years; have also driven 2-door '94 Ford Explorer 8 years; 2-door '84 Ford Tempo 8 years; 2-door '82 Fiat 128 2 years; and '63 VW Beetle 3 years. I've also test driven several VW New Beetles, and they are in fact quite comfortable. I even managed to squeeze into the back seat once. I'm shopping again, so I appreciate the feedback, too. I'm not familiar with the Makes of some of the Models mentioned above, like what is an Arcadia? Thanks.

That's a GM SUV. The Acadia shares a body style with the Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse.

Not sure how spacious the "new" New Beetle is since they lowered the roofline.

Recently saw a good report on the original Scion xB; the one they don't make any more. Check out the Best Vehicles for Taller Larger Drivers discussion in the Edmunds Forums.

Top Car Comparisons Experts View More