• avatar morin2 03/11/10 9:31 pm PST

Consider that the first buyer might also have had heavy towing needs. I wouldn't worry about the engine at 150K, but I'd be concerned about the transmission if its been used to tow heavy loads, especially in mountains. I would look for a diesel that was used as a long-distance highway cruiser that had no towing history. In fact, I'd pay a premium for that rig. Fortunately, the evidence of a 5th wheel is obvious.

Answers

Most diesel equipped cars and trucks can go about twice the mileage than a gasoline engine before a rebuild is in order. So, I would figure that a diesel truck with 100K miles is the rough equivalent of 50K miles on a gasoline engined truck. BUT, and this is a BIG but, the most important thing is how well the truck was maintained. If someone beat the heck out of the truck, it is not going to last very long without a major repair whether it is a diesel or not.

Top Diesel Experts View More