• avatar railroadjames 02/15/09 10:53 pm PST

The Prius has an outstanding reputation that even dates back to the 1st Gen Hybrid. I own an '04 with nearly 96K and not one problem. As you pointed out the price of the "Big" Battery is under $2,600.00. The "Small" Battery runs $153.00. As I stated I'm in my 6th yr with both original batteries. Toyota (and other hybrid mfg'rs) have claimed to reclaim old batteries to be delt with in "GREEN" fashion. You'd be hard pressed to find an owner of any Prius with battery problems let alone ever being replaced to date. One last thing to point out. Service Dept's have said that when the "main" battery should fail they would first replace only the bad cells at a reasonable price rather than the entire battery. I've owned over 50 cars and have never had such a trouble free vehicle.

Source: Battery prices quoted from local dlr in N.W. Indiana

Answers

• sergelbergeron 02/10/09 2:03 pm PST

you can and I will do more research on PriusChat group to see how long lasts the battery - the battery is warrantied for 8 years - so I'm not sure and will look further if info is avaiable - on the disposal of the battery you also need to factor in all the gaz you are saving and all the Green House Gazes that you are not sending up into the atmosphere. Your question is very good but I remember the Hummer=Prius article and how it didn't make much sense.

I think the price is about right. So far, with few exceptions, they've not needed replacing, and are thought to be a 'life of the car', more than 10 year, item.

• robert137 02/10/09 10:05 pm PST

I think the battery is garenteed for 3 years or 36oooo miles unconditionally and then
    prorated for 5 more.

• railroadjames 02/15/09 10:53 pm PST

• brokenarrow1 01/07/11 6:01 pm PST

I to am curious about the battery issue. I've driven several Prius's in my current line of work, and I've fallen in love with them. But the battery issue is holding me back. I noticed that someone commented on replacing only bad cells. I have some knoweledge about batteries, as my last job was as building and testing battery cabinets for UPS's up to 1.6 MW, and one thing I know is old batteries and new batteries don't mix. Manfufactures always put like date codes in a series of batteries. Old batteries and new batteries don't charge evenly and that will effect runtime. I think that would be true in the Prius battery if each cell is a battery wired in series.

• jay186 07/05/11 11:37 am PST

Hate to be the skunk at this PC party, but our 2.5 year old Prius with 15K miles would not start. Had to have it towed. Needs new $2k-plus batteries. You can get about the same mpg with a gas-engine Corolla or Civic, without the mind-numbing complexity and unreliability of a hybrid.
    But hey, if it's Politically Correct, it's Good -- right?
    We're trading in this clunker. The rest of you can go ahead live in your little PC world of make-believe if you want.

Seems odd that you have to pay anything since the hybrid batteries have an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

Source: http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/warr
    a...

• atomiccow 11/04/11 11:51 pm PST

Jays comments don't smell right.
    As mentioned if his battery failed in just two years it would have been replaced free.
    Most places the warranty is 100000 miles and in California 150000 miles. So even buying a used Prius it is not hard to find one still under warranty. Being able to have a car for that many miles (which by the way also covers the entire drive train) should give anyone piece of mind. The Prius gas engine gets very light use relative to other cars so it also lasts a long time. I find there are more problems with the little starter battery. My car is at 160000 and the hybrid battery is no longer my concern. But it was when I first was considering buying one.

The hybrids are extremely reliable. Moreso I think than their gas counterparts. And the mileage isn't comparable. While my old Prius averages about 44 per gallon on many trips I make over fifty. And coming back from Las Vegas to Los Angeles I burned only three gallons of gas. About 70 plus miles per gallon because its mostly downhill. You can finesse the car while driving for hypermileage.

• marper 05/26/12 8:50 pm PST

All Prius come with an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. I work at one of the largest Toyota dealerships in the country we service 5-10 Prius a day and we have never had to replace a single battery. The Prius battery will last 10-15 years and will go 200,000 mile +. By the time the battery starts to go bad the car will have lived its life and be ready for the scrap yard. The Prius actually has less mechanical issues then a regular gas engine car. It has less components that are typical to break. I own one of these cars and all the fears around them are completely unfounded. They are great cars and they will save you plenty of money in gas. Its amazing to buy a car that gets 51mpg in the city. I bought the prius strictly for the fuel economy. I added up my savings over 10 years @ $3.50 a gallon for gas will be around $10,000 compared to a regular mid-sized sedan. The prius only cost around $2000 more then a regular mid-sedan.

• ke6drn_8 04/04/14 2:31 pm PST

My Prius (2008) is into 7 years and 75000+ miles. The motive battery (the big one under the back seat) is doing fine. My local dealership reports they have customers with 150k and 200k who are still on the original battery and those test Okay.

My challenge is my Prius seems to kill the smaller 12 volt battery about annually. (the small 12 v battery is located in a rear fender well.) I used to be in love with the keyless entry/access feature, but have since turned it off since that feature represents a continuous battery drain and will leave the battery dead in about 28 days.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Prius. I am spoiled by the high gas mileage. (I love telling my fellow commuters my car and my motorcycle both get the same gas mileage.) However, I found the cost, at least locally, of the Toyota 12 v replacement battery to be too high. Especially as the battery seems to fail every 12-15 months. I found folks online who were using a Mazda replacement as an alternative, and for about $35-50 cheaper. The Mazda battery lasts longer for me, but not a lot longer.

I bought my Prius used in 2010 and have replaced the 12 v battery three times already. The present 12 v battery is weak, I put the car on a trickle charger if i know i'm going to leave it parked for more than 5-6 days. However, that doesn't work when I leave the car at the airport long term parking.

Any ideas on what kills the 12 v battery? as I said, I have already disabled the keyless entry feature.....

You may want to ask this as a new question too; sometimes a new post will attract new answers.

Top Toyota Prius Experts View More

4. sergelbergeron 250
7. mackabee 80