• avatar lilengineerboy 08/10/08 8:50 am PST

You didn't speficfy if it had to be new or not. I would lean more towards a used vehicle for a first car.

A lot of people seem concerned with passive safety - things like airbags and crumple zones, and I think those are very important, but they only help you when you crash. I think the idea here would be to not crash.

I would look for something that is comfortable for my son/daughter to sit in, where they can see everything, and where they can reach everything. I think visibility is especially important. I would have them get all the mirrors adjusted and go stand in various points around the vehicle to see if I am visible to them. Once I knew they fit, I would look at how they maneuver the vehicle.

When they drive the car, how well does it do what they are expecting? Is the handling sloppy or secure? The vehicle should be stable enough that it will respond in an emergency situation, but not quite so stable that it encourages getting into the situation in the first place.

I think it is important to understand what the safety features of a vehicle are and how they work. It is important to understand what they do and don't do. I think all wheel drive is a great feature in bad weather, but it is definitely not a guarantee that the car won't go in a ditch. These features help drivers, but they don't change physics. Stability control is the same way. It can be helpful, but it might just be the difference between hitting something with the front of the car or hitting something with the back of the car.

I think what I am trying to say is the biggest factor in how safe the vehicle is for your child is the driver, your daughter, so I would be more inclined to find something she feels comfortable in and go from there.

Answers

• tony78 08/07/08 10:59 pm PST

Good question ! the safest car just might be what ever you happen to be toolin around in because if it was safe enough for you it should be safe enough for your bundle of joy to be driving in.

now if your car of choice is a ferrari testarosa or full size chevy duallie that is lifted with monster mudders,,then forget what i just said.

a safe car should be something that has four doors,,four doors are cheaper to insure, also the car should be very substantial and have some heavy duty bumpers and if it had a few dings and dents that would be ok cause its likely to get banged up a bit anyway,,,no no im not talking about a sherman tank here.

After she gets a few years and a few miles under her belt and a few notches on her lipstick case then you should go out and buy her that nice new wing doodle.

We're looking too, and are seriously considering the Subaru Forester: practical, good crash ratings, decent fuel economy, and (as long as you don't get the XT turbo model) not too fast. Just make sure it has the side air bags (they're in the front seat back).

• lilengineerboy 08/10/08 8:50 am PST

• mmman2 03/16/10 5:40 pm PST

Volvos, safe and good looking.

• md320e 02/05/11 9:31 am PST

I have a Subaru and a Honda aand I would say a Honda. It has a ton of miles but I was in a wreck and barely hurt. Please they can be cheap if they have a ton of miles on them. Very safe

Top Crash Test Ratings Experts View More

5. researchqueen 55