Answers

• rodger_victor 07/09/10 3:14 am PST

Honda product? Transmission should give out at or before the 10k miles mark. I have had two Honda products (odyssey & RSX) Both had major trans problems. Odyssey getting lemon law recall as we speak. Nissan? Everything else will go wrong. I would buy the BMW, but costly to repair after warranty runs out. I would consider a Escape or a Equinox. Both better choices.

• stephen987 07/09/10 7:36 am PST

It's possible to get a lemon in any model. But Consumer Reports surveys hundreds of thousands of owners in order to compile their predictions, and they list the CR-V as the best of these four--by far. The BMWs have very expensive cooling system issues as they age, and both BMW and Nissan have a strong pattern of electrical problems as well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars
    /models/used/honda/cr-v/overview.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars
    /models/used/nissan/murano/overview.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars
    /models/used/bmw/x3/overview.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars
    /models/used/bmw/x5/overview.htm

Source: hundreds of thousands of owner reports compiled by Consumer Reports

• stephen987 07/09/10 7:41 am PST

• morin2 07/09/10 8:15 am PST

With that many miles, you are probably looking at vehicles that have been traded in just before their most expensive service interval between 90K and 120K. Vehicles in this range will need timing belts, water pumps, filters, fluids, and tune-ups and probably brakes just about as soon as you buy one. You could spend $2K right away on maintenance items. I think you would be far better off looking for a certified used ("CPO") vehicle that will come with a warranty from the manufacturer to the 100K mark. If its a CPO car, you wouldn't need to have a mechanic inspect it, but a non-CPO car will need a pre-purchase inspection so you can see a list of what it needs now and soon. Compare the maintenance history to the maintenance needs shown in the owner's manual.

You should consider adding the new style Subaru Forester (2009-10) and Toyota RAV4 to your list. A BMW without a BMW factory CPO warranty is a potentially expensive risk.

• isellhondas 07/09/10 2:24 pm PST

It's pure baloney that CRV transmissions give trouble. I can't recall of EVER hearing of anyone having to replace a CRV transmission.

In 2002 I sold a new CRV to a friend of mine. Last time I checked, he was coming up on 350,000 miles. When iot had 250.000 plus miles he replaced the A/C compressor because of a noisy bearing and he had a front brake caliper stick so he replaced those. OTehr than that, just routine service. It does not leak or use oil between changes.

A BMW will eat you alive with repair bills as it ages. Great cars but expensive to keep on the road.

The Murano would be a good choice too providing it's been taken care of.

• colin_l 07/09/10 4:00 pm PST

I have no skin in this game but I've owned a BMW. The first reply has statistics-based information that will be very helpful for the overall trends.

BMWs tend to be higher maintenance than Hondas for sure, and generally higher than Nissan. I still would not call them 'unreliable', but I would say that general maintenance is costly.

A big factor in maintenance and repair costs is the original selling price of the vehicle. Expensive cars tend to be complex and use expensive parts. The X5 would certainly be the most expensive vehicle to own at higher mileage.

That said, no vehicle is immune to wear. 200k and beyond is *possible* for any of these cars without major repairs, but some kind of powertrain component could fail, especially if the vehicle was abused or poorly maintained, and it will be expensive. There is a big myth out there about Hondas and Toyotas being some god-like vehicles that magically make it to 200k on oil and filter changes alone. Um, no. Despite any car's good reliability, this is patently untrue.

• dstarinieri 07/09/10 6:32 pm PST

Run from the BMW, I had one with almost 70,000 miles and the piece of junk was running 300.00 a month in repairs. BMW's are great when under warranty and that is it. Buy a CR-V. They dont have transmission issues. The early Van did but not the CRV. They are great little SUV's.

• alana50 07/13/10 10:02 am PST

We own a 2000 CRV with 170K+ and it's still running very well. We do all the upkeep on it, and the mechanics expect it to keep on running.
    Problems? The oil pan was damaged by the previous owner and had to be replaced.
    The dreaded AC compressor problem. (See Edmunds; look at the VIN number. The consensus seems to be that autos that have a VIN begining with letter J and built between 1999 and 2005 are the ones with defective manufacturer parts). However, I know other folks with this same car- no problems w/ the AC.
    Otherwise we have had no problems with this auto and I will keep it till it hits 500K if it's still willing to stay in the relationship.

Source: www.edmunds.com

Top Car Buying Experts View More