Answers

• stephen987 12/15/09 12:33 pm PST

I think the Buick Enclave would be the very best. The Ford Flex and Ford Edge are a close second. The Flex, in particular, is a lot lower to the ground and should be easier to get in and out of. A friend of mine who is tall and overweight and has had back trouble for more than 20 years thinks his Toyota Highlander is the best ever. All of these deserve a very close look. They're also quieter and smoother riding than the truck-based SUVs like the Yukon.

But with mobility and access issues, the only way to know for sure is to try each one on and see how well it fits. Maybe these suggestions will at least save you a few trips.

My inlaws have the Buick Enclave and love it except for the seat comfort. He's slight and finds the lack of lower back support to be painful. Everybody is shaped differently, so be sure to give the seat a good test. Its possible that a higher trim level came with better seats.

You'll have more storage space for the wheelchair in a SUV with only 2 rows of seats - a 5 passenger SUV, rather than a 7 or 8 passenger model.

I personally find those big Tahoe, Yukon, Silverado, Sierra bucket seats to be very comfy. Something like a Honda Element might be easier to get into for its height and easier to park in the city but I'm not sure about grab handles on it.

Top Car Buying Experts View More