• avatar docj 02/25/09 3:29 pm PST

I don't either...

Here is the procedure i have...

Doc J

Removal...

1. Disconnect the power steering return hose at the pump and drain fluid.
    2. Remove the power steering pressure hose by unscrewing connector from the pump.
    3. Slacken belt tension by lifting drive belt tensioner in a counterclockwise direction. Remove drive belt from under drive belt tensioner and slowly lower pulley to stop. Remove the drive belt from the power steering pump pulley.
    4. Remove the drive belt from the power steering pump pulley.
    5. Remove the oil dipstick tube.
    6. Remove the power steering pump support.
    7. Install Steering Pump Pulley Remover T69L-10300-B on the pulley.
    8. While holding the remover tool nut stationary with a wrench, rotate the inner spindle of the remover tool clockwise until the pulley is pulled off the power steering pump rotor shaft. NOTE: Do not apply pressure on the power steering pump rotor shaft. Pressure will damage internal thrust areas of the power steering pump.
    9. Remove the bolts attaching the power steering pump to the A/C compressor mounting bracket.

Answers

• docj 02/25/09 3:29 pm PST

I don't either...

Here is the procedure i have...

Doc J

Removal...

5. Remove the oil dipstick tube.

• lastnhovgator 03/06/09 8:48 pm PST

For Doc J - thanks for the input. I also posed the same question to the folks at Haynes and I've attached their response FYI.

I replaced the PS pump today - was a real bear because of the lack of room to work. I had to remove the upper radiator hose and the fan shroud and fan to make room to work. The worst part was the fluid return line at the bottom due to the factory installed hose clamp. I replaced that with a screw-type clamp. Everything appears to work fine. The unfortunate bit is I don't think the pump was bad after all. I still have a horrible knocking sound in the vicinity of the PS pump when I start the vehicle that persists for 2-4 seconds, then stops and has no appearant effect on the truck.

Again, thanks for the input, it did help with the job. Right now, I'm sore and still have very dirty hands.

Best regards,
    LASTNHOVGATOR

Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Its not absolutely necessary to do this to repalce the pump. But to bleed the system once you have put a new component in the system is recommended. When you first start the vehicle after a new component has been installed in the power steering system there is air in the system and it usually foames up. If you put pressure on the pump at his point (such as turning the wheels especially if they are large wheels and tires) there is the outside chance that you could damage the pump. I hope this helps.
    Again, thank you for using Haynes automotive/motorcycle manuals!
    Best regards,
    Technical Research

Sent: Mon 3/2/2009 11:08 AM
    To: Research
    Subject: STEERING PUMP REPLACEMENT

What is the purpose of removing front wheels when replacing the power steering pump on a 1997 Ford Ranger?
    The Haynes Repair Manual for Ford Pick-ups covers PS Pump replacement in Chapter 10, section 29. Step 3 states "Loosen the front wheel lug nuts. Raise the front of the vehicle, support it securely on jackstands, block the rear wheels and set the parking brake. Remove both front wheels."

I do not understand what role this plays in replacing the PS Pump. Any ideas? Is this really a necessary step? The vehicle is a 1997 Ford Ranger, 4 cyl 2.3 L.

Best Regards,
    B. Casper

Top Ford Ranger Experts View More