• avatar zaken1 06/13/10 2:53 am PST

In that case, please try the following starting technique: Turn the key in the ignition to the position where the dashboard warning lights come on; and wait with the key in that position for a full ten seconds. Then turn the key the rest of the way to start the motor.

The reason this works on so many vehicles is that it takes about ten seconds for the electric fuel pump to build up normal fuel pressure at the injectors. If you try to start the car before it has full fuel pressure; the cylinders will be starved for fuel, and the motor will be difficult to start. This issue is becoming more and more common; as gasoline companies add more and more oxygenating chemicals to their fuel, in order to meet emission regulations.

Answers

There could be many different reasons why your car does not start immediately. If you did not test to see which of these things is the one causing the problem, or whether there is more than one cause; but instead just began buying parts and installing them; it might end up costing you much more money than was really necessary. Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine the cause of such problems without first testing the possible systems.

The first thing I would suggest is to have the battery and alternator tested. This can be done at low cost by an auto parts store that sells batteries and alternators. I would recommend a store like Costco, Auto Zone or NAPA; because they have better batteries than many of the other stores.

I would also have a cylinder compression test done. There should not be more than 15% difference between any two cylinder pressures. If the motor fails the compression test; it will have to be rebuilt or replaced. While the plugs are out, if the spark plugs have not been replaced in the last 20,000 miles; I would have new plugs installed; and would also replace the plug wires if your Rodeo has the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder motor.

If it passes the compression test; the fuel and air filters should be replaced, and the throttle body, mass airflow sensor, and idle air control valve should be cleaned.

• winhto 06/12/10 3:52 pm PST

My battery was purchased last summer, the spark plugs were done a couple of months ago and a brand new starter was installed 4 months ago. What else is left that could cause this problem though?

Have a cylinder compression test done. If it passes the compression test; the fuel and air filters should be replaced, and the throttle body, mass airflow sensor, and idle air control valve should be cleaned.

• winhto 06/12/10 11:07 pm PST

Although it is a 1999 isuzu, it only has 91K miles. I had all that done last December, everything seemed to be in very good shape so I was told by the isuzu dealer where I had my car serviced since I bought my car.

FWIW, I had a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo that began to exhibit the same symptoms as yours and the problem was a parially clogged fuel filter. So, I think your first step should be to change the filter as it is a 20 minute job abd part of normal maintenance.

I suggested that twice, in the third and fifth response above yours, along with several other routine maintenance operations; and the owner replied that he had all of those things done last winter.

• winhto 06/13/10 12:00 pm PST

Thank you zaken1, I will try that.

• winhto 06/13/10 2:53 pm PST

So far so good.

• winhto 06/14/10 7:47 pm PST

Thanks again zaken1, your advice seems to be working very nicely, not a single repeat.

Top SUV Experts View More

7. sandman235 195