• avatar kiawah 12/31/07 12:26 pm PST

You don't indicate the year and model of your Camry, so don't know if it is related to the 2007/2008 6cylinder flare that has been reported.

There is a poster who has documented with a video the flare in the camry transmission forum, and you can do a search and find it if interested. It occurs only in the 6 cylinder, 6 speed vehicles, and typically occurs once while the engine/tran is cold. It flares up approx 500K to 1000K RPM's. It seems like the car goes into neutral or shifts slowly, thereby allowing the engine rpm's to "flare up" or increase, before dropping into the higher gear.

Owners have reported dealers changing out transmission solenoids, new software loads, and replacing the whole transmission. Sometimes this fixes it, sometimes not. Other owners have had their vehicle bought back under lemon law.

Answers

• kiawah 12/31/07 12:26 pm PST

• davo1954 03/20/13 9:01 pm PST

I've got a 2007 Camry SE, V-6. Had it since new, and it's had the flare since a few months into owning it. Kentucky built, the first few months of the 'new' model. Happens intermittently, probably more frequent lately. Under hard acceleration, it never does it. 'Average' driving it's there. RPM's go up as described, then grabs 4th. I've learned to 'feather' it, imagining that I am preventing a major meltdown. And, I've got 160,000 miles on the car now. Works fine, still getting good performance out of it. No fix that I know of.. People have tried different things as mentioned. Toyota 'Help'... wasn't. Told that there was a TSP on other models, Solera maybe? But was informed that I didn't have a problem. Dealership no help. Sorta like the Mafia...'What dead body?".

Apparently, 6 months or so after first production, the flare thing went away. If/when it goes... which I somewhat doubt now ( knocking on wood), I'll get a good newer used transmission.. lower mileage, and drive it to 400K. Or that's what nephews are for.... First car 'present'. :)
    I pick my battles, this one sucked, and 160K later, its what it is.. Tough to resale. The car is otherwise in great shape, looks and runs great, I got 125,000 miles out of the first set of brake pads.. (Really).

Top Toyota Camry Experts View More