Answers

I don't know if there is anything unique to the fabric of an Equinox. I would try an automotive upholstery cleaner that foams and brush it in to the fabric. I usually use what I find at Walmart, but if you're concerned that the fabric is unusual, get the upholstery cleaner at the GM dealer. When the seats are completely dry (some cleaners need to be vacuumed after drying), spray fabric protector such as Scotchgard or Fabrotex (also available at the dealer) in several light applications. That will cause future water splashes to bead up & you can mop it up before it is absorbed into the fabric.

This is a common problem that is most often caused by the salt in perspiration or by water that has high mineral content (hard water) that actually leaves whitish mineral or salt deposit stains. To clean the cloth start by vacuuming it. Then take an upholstery brush (or any moderately stiff brush, and while vacuuming the second time, brush the white areas vigorously. This should remove most of the stain. Next, use a quality car upholstery cleaner. There are many excellent brands available at your auto parts store. Follow the directions making sure that the interior of the car is not overly hot and leave the windows open until dry. Also make sure that you will not need to drive the car until the seats are completely dry. Once the seats a completely dry, consider a treating the seats with some spray on Scotch Guard. It's cheap and easy, and really makes a difference in preventing future stains in the cloth.

It does seem to be a common problem. I've seen complaints about cloth seats staining from water in Jeeps, Saturns, Pontiacs, Kias, Volvos and Fords on the CarSpace forums.

There's at least one other person with an '05 Equinox with the problem - they have gray seats that stain, according to the Consumer Review they posted (Hunk of Junk).

One Jeep Liberty owner had success with Oxy Carpet and Interior Cleaner, followed by Scotchgard.

Top Interior Upholstery Experts View More

7. obyone 85