• avatar docj 03/10/09 11:54 pm PST

Its under the car at the rear near the tank.

A P0442 code is for a small leak detected in the evap system.I wouldnt just go and throw a canister on it until i had it checked out.
    Any number of things can cause this.
    Who told you it needed a canister?

Check the gas cap.If left loose or off,it could set this code as could refueling the vehicle while its running.
    I would first check the cap,make sure its on correctly,clear the code and see if it resets,if it does,have it checked,if not,you saved some cash.

Click the link below,give it a read,explains the EVAP system operation..

Doc J

Source: http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_syst
    e...

Answers

• docj 03/10/09 11:54 pm PST

Any number of things can cause this.
    Who told you it needed a canister?

Doc J

e...

• kkraus33 03/11/09 10:23 am PST

Doc J,
    Thanks for your help. Can you tell me how to clear the code? I took this car in to Auto Zone and they were the ones who tested it and came up wth that code. I did a few of the things you mention but the code still shows. I don'tknow how to clear it and check again.

• docj 03/11/09 12:42 pm PST

Ask them if they will do it for you.Usually they wont,but tell them the cap was loose and see if they will.Store by me will reset it.
    You can also rent the code reader from Autozone and do it yourself.

Cadillac also has onboard diagnostics that you can enter thru the DIC on the dash.
    They did away with this in the later model cars AND i'm not sure if yours can still be done.
    Here is the procedure if your has the 3 buttons ...

Do me a favor,if it works and all is well,go to my original answer and click on the Thumbs up icon to give me credit for best answer.
    Thanks
    Let me know
    Good Luck

Doc J
    DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville and other model years with 3 buttons on the RH side of DIC

Use the 3 switches located to the right (LH drive cars) of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES
    INFO RESET = NO
    INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"
    Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.
    "ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.
    Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)
    AMP (Amplifier)
    DDM (Door Driver Module)
    DIM (Dash Integration Module)
    IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
    IPM (Instrument Panel Module)
    IRC (Integrated Radio Module)
    PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
    RFA (Remote Function Actuation)
    RIM (Rear Integration Module)
    SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat
    VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)
    MSM (Memory Seat Module)
    TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)
    RSS (Road Sensing Suspension

)

• kkraus33 03/11/09 2:38 pm PST

docj,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! That worked like a charm. I had never used those buttons except to check oil and filter before. Didn't know it could do all that. You had it so right. I'm an old retired car junky but these new fangled things really are past me. Thanks again.

Top Engine Indicator Lights Experts View More