• avatar karjunkie 09/23/09 3:31 pm PST

Since it can be so many things, you have to check one at a time. I suggest you start with a simple test: try and start the car and then pull a spark plug out. If it is wet, you have a spark problem meaning the coil(s), distributor (if any) or the CPS sensor is bad. To double check, disconnect the other spark plug wires; hold the spark plug against the engine with insulated pliers while a helper turns to engine over to see if you have a spark. If the spark plug is dry, you have a fuel delivery problem meaning fuel pump (not in your case as you replaced it) clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pressure regulator. You can check the FPR by pulling the vacuum hose of of it and check for fuel in the hose. If it has fuel in there, you need to replace the FPR. a $40 pressure gauge you can get from any auto parts store can be attached to the schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for pressure. On most vehicles, the pressure should be at least 42-45 psi. Good luck and let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Answers

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button and that will help keep all the information in one spot. Thanks!

• mlb14 09/24/09 2:01 pm PST

This 1994 Geo Metro 3cyl is driving me crazy. I have replaced the crankshafter sensor, the coil, the ignition module, and the fuel pump relay. I have a check engine code of 42. Can you help me with what this could mean? There is NO spark. It wants to start but......Please help. Thank you karjunkie for your previous post.

Code 42 indicates a electronic spark timing circuit fault. The EST circuit is between the ingniton module and your engine's ECM computer. It tells the injectors when to fire. The problem can be one of two things. Either there is a bad ground connection to the ignition module from the ECM ( a bad wire) or either the ignition module or ECM has gone bad. There should be 5V going from the ECM to the ignition module. If the ECM is not producing 5V, the ECM is bad. If it does feed 5V to the ingnition module you have a bad one. If the ECM sends 5V but the ignition module is not recieving juice, you have a shorted wire somewhere.

• mlb14 09/25/09 11:40 am PST

I have tried to purchase an ignition control module, but can't find the module under the hood. The one for U.S. made geos is not on my car. I do not know what to look for on a Canadian made geo metro. Does anyone have a picture of the ignition control module or where it is located? My VIN starts with a 2 so the auto parts store indicated that they could not get that item and they do not have a picture as to what it looks like. This vehicle was made in Canada and they indicated that the module was different than those made in the U.S. This Geo Metro 3cyl has different parts if made out of the U.S.??????? Please help. Thank you.

• skittles3 11/25/09 10:34 pm PST

well, i would like to know that answer myself! did the spark plug wire trick and i have spark! there is suppose to be a fuel reset button would any one know where to find it at! i checked in the back under the panles....nothin! under the steering....nothin! i have no idea where to check from there! it cant be the fuel pump becuz it was just replaced! so if any idea's plz let know! thx

Top Geo Metro Experts View More

4. sandman235 65
6. oldfarmer50 35
7. stephen987 35