• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 12/13/11 10:52 am PST

How about the clutch safety start switch? You could test for voltage at that switch. In additional to fuses, there may be fusible links that have burned out--these come off the postiive battery post and are inserted in wiring running along the inner fender well.

Answers

• gshrader 12/13/11 11:16 am PST

Is the safety switch located at the clutch pedal?

yes should be, similar to a brake light switch on the brake pedal.

• gshrader 12/13/11 11:25 am PST

Thanks I'll try this this evening and let you know.

• thecardoc3 12/13/11 11:26 am PST

Ouch, no good deed goes unpunished.

The starter system on your car relies heavily on communication between modules on the car. The front contol module controls a relay that controls the starter. The front control module has to receive a command from the powertrain control module, which in turn must see an input from the ignition switch and clutch switch as well as get a go/no-go command from the remote keyless entry system.

Do you have a CAN compliant scan tool available? (CAN = Controller Area Network). You could still have fuses failed and have one of the essential modules shut down and with that loss of communication end up in the no-start, won't crank condition. Use a test light and check for power at both contacts for EVERY fuse.

Otherwise you really need someone who has a StarScan, or StarMobile, or the new WiTech.

• gshrader 12/13/11 1:36 pm PST

From this I take I need to get it towed to the shop. I do not have access to a CAN. I appreciate all of this info. I really like my jeep. Thanks

Top Engine No start Experts View More