Answers

• madmanmoo 01/11/08 2:00 pm PST

If you're purchasing the vehicle for someone else and paying cash, then no. You would title it in another person's name. Otherwards, you need a driver's license and you need a place of residence.

Go get one.

I don't think you necessarily have to have a driver's license to buy a vehicle.

For example, North Carolina recently required its residents to present a valid driver's license or identification card in order to register a vehicle. The DOT FAQ there says nothing about needing a driver's license to actually buy the car. And you can register it with just a state id card, and those cards don't give you driving privileges.

Most insurance companies require the owner to have a valid driver's license before they will insure the car, so from a practical standpoint, you may need the license.

Source: http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_servic
    e...

• greanpea68 01/11/08 5:33 pm PST

If you are paying cash no.

But if you are applyin for finance from the dealer the dealer will need a copy of the drivers license for the bank so the bank has your correct address incase they need to repo the car.

But lets say you are blind, you may have a bank or a credit union that ou do business with that may help with financing because you do business with said bank. In that way you would be paying cash to a dealer and than the dealer wouldn't necessarily need a copy of your license.

GOod Luck

GP

• obyone 04/11/08 10:52 pm PST

HAHAHA!! A blind driver...

You don't need a driver's license to buy a car you just need one to legally drive off the lot. A passport can be used in lieu of a driver's license as a form of identification if making a loan.

• zoomzoomdlr 11/03/08 7:13 pm PST

The correct answer is NO, you do not need to have a license to purchase a car. Ownership rights have nothing to do with driving priviledges, although I have to advise you not to drive without a license. and if you were to have a loan, you would need to have insurance in your name.

Found another one. In Minnesota, if the buyer does not have a valid driver's license, the vehicle cannot be put in his or her name. I think that since title is proof of ownership in most states, you may have trouble buying a car in states like Minnesota that require a driver's license in order to title a car.

I don't know what Mrs. Daisy would do in these circumstances.

Source: http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=
    3...

• bluedevilabbey 11/30/11 10:34 am PST

In NC you only need a NC valid identification card in order to get the title of a car put in your name. They require proof of insurance and a valid ID. Not an actual driver's license.

• slimyl 07/25/12 10:35 pm PST

No

• projectcpr 04/23/13 1:08 pm PST

Well I am new to this but as a legal alien from the UK with just a UK drivers licence I find the following (its not set in stone but may help) -

I can drive in most states on my licence - 1 year in my home state of Wisconsin.

I CANNOT buy a car at all in Indianapolis and I think Texas and Louisianna.

Interesting to hear about Minnesota - I will make enquiries.

I must say that the incosistencies in law in the US are great compared to my little country!

Nick

Top Car Buying Experts View More