• avatar zaken 10/14/13 9:47 pm PST

I agree that this sounds like a transmission problem. The torque converter lock up makes the coupling in the converter not slip AT ALL. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you floored the accelerator when the slipping began.

I'm not a transmission expert; but I think the slipping could be related to other parts besides the converter and its controls. I would take the car to a reputabllle transmission shop and have them diagnose it. Please do not go to a shop that advertises on TV. If you don't know of a reputable transmission specialist in your area; just respond to this thread with your postal zip code; and I'll come back with a recommendation for a good local shop.

Answers

• zaken 10/14/13 9:47 pm PST

• zaken 10/14/13 10:42 pm PST

Please excuse me if you already know this; but I need to mention it on the off chance that you don't: The vehicle must be warmed up, on level ground and the engine must be running when you check the transmission fluid level. Some cars should be checked with the shifter in Park, and others in a different position. It should say on the dipstick.

• isellhondas 10/14/13 10:58 pm PST

Well, have a quality transmission shop take a look in the hopes it isn't something major but what you are describing is a transmission that is about to quit completly.

Probably overhaul time after all of those years and miles.

• rickmoore 10/19/13 9:35 pm PST

When I floor it...because I have, :) it revs until it gets to 4000 rpms or so then it kick in gear and goes. Sometimes all the way to work some times slips in and out of gear the whole way. I called a Tranny shop and he suggested unplugging the TTC plug on top of the tranny and see what happens. He said it shouldnt ('Shouldnt" ???) hurt the tranny. Anybody ever do this before. Tomorrow I will find the plug and try.
    Took my Jeep to work today, because when I put the key in the ignition to start it this morning............F'in horn started Blaring! It has never done this before... Short???, Ghost???
    When I drove it yesterday it drove perfect. Great pickup, started fine, No slippin.
    I live in Medford Oregon 97501.
    I may take it to Dusty's Transmission.
    I just hate to pay some one else because I'm a fairly good Mechanic.
    In this case, "fairly" evidently is not good enough.

• rickmoore 10/19/13 9:53 pm PST

Another mechanic suggested using Seafoam to burn out all the carbon and crap in the motor. It seems I got a error code for a bad EGR valve.
    You think any of this is Vaccum related??? Could a Bad EGR valve cause such a problem.
    So now I'm not stressin' I'm getting intriged. LOL you all, with your input are AWESOME and I thank you.
    Now I ont want to take it to a shop I want to figure it out Myself.............with the help of you all LL.
    Again Thank You for any and All input

• rickmoore 10/19/13 10:00 pm PST

1st- I'll try some Seafoam. Havent heard anyhting bad (yet)
    2nd- New EGR valve ($184 bucks!) Holy Crap!
    3rd- if there are still slippin issues, find and unplug the TCC plug (top of transmission?)
    4th Read all your input, and take it to a shop ....if we cant figure it out :( ;(

• zaken 10/19/13 11:57 pm PST

Here are two shops I recommend. Even though they are not transmission specialists; I would talk with them first and see what they can do:

Medford Auto Service Center; 4642 Table Rock Rd, Central Point OR 97502

John's Auto Care Center, 3311 Biddle Rd, Medford OR 97504

Thank you for your vote of confidence!

Top Coupe Experts View More

6. stephen987 85