• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 06/14/10 8:12 pm PST

If they are also replacing strut MOUNTS in addition to the struts (not a bad idea), then no, it's not excessive according to my books---I mean, it's full retail, by no means a bargain, but it's a listed "book price" for parts and labor.

I did the math with my parts and labor books and I got $820 less tax for the 4 struts, + 4.6 hours labor (whatever they charge per hour) + $482 less tax for strut mounts. So I get $1300 + maybe $460 labor at $100/hour.

The price depends not only on WHAT they are replacing, but what QUALITY they are using.

So the answer to your question could be YES, NO or MAYBE.

So shop around, make sure the quotes you get are for the SAME number of parts of the SAME quality. If you're quoted a price of some junk struts, no mounts, done at a mow and blow chain store, sure, it'll be less, but you may not be happy.

If you don't know what a strut MOUNT is, LOOK HERE: It's a great video about the entire strut/mount/boot system and what it does. This will help you make an informed decision in the midst of conflicting information.

Answers

Tirerack.com has a set of 4 KYBs plus mounts for a '98 Prism for $418, shipping included. I've used them.

KYB are "okay"---probably fine for a Prizm. So if you ordered those, with tax, and had a shop put them on for you, maybe you'd be in for $1000 bucks with alignment---of course, finding a shop that's okay with you bringing parts in, could be an issue, since they lose all that juicy mark-up on parts.

It's possible that the shop was quoting you for a "quick strut" which includes the springs? That would cost considerably more than just the struts.

If you do use tirerack, they has shops that agree to install the struts. Check out their site. I've not used their installers, so I can't vouch for them.

• djwalk 06/14/10 11:36 pm PST

Thanks for all the input! I think they are quoting only struts. as to the quick struts, I will check that out. Are they a good idea? they gave me the part numbers from the quote and I looked them up and they are full retail price for chevy parts.

Yeah, like I said---it's a full retail price with zero discount and full mark-up. Nothing wrong with a shop quoting that but it's not terribly competitive. Did you look at that video? It's quite informative.

Top Suspension Experts View More