Answers

Maybe a little if you also do the entire exhaust system. The headers are just one part of a long tube going from the air filter to the tail pipe. So better extraction of exhaust means little if it gets bottled up in the mufflers.

Often the small gain in fuel economy is overset or even negated entirely by the driver pushing the car a bit harder because he likes the sounds it makes.

If you are asking "will headers pay for themselves in gas saving", I'd say that's going to take a long time. Let's say you gain 1 mpg. Calculate that out in gas savings over the cost of headers + new exhaust. 15 mpg vs. 16 mpg over a year? That's save you about $100. 2 mpg = $200 per year.

Also header bolts often loosen up and need to be periodically tightened, or you should at least get special lockers for the header bolts. And you have to buy good quality or they'll leak.

• obyone 04/11/08 3:04 am PST

The short version of a long answer is no.

Outside of a tuned engine (plugs, wires, cap and rotor) and timing. The biggest increase would be to drive as if there was a raw egg behind your pedal. Driving conservatively will increase your mileage more than any modification could.

• geoblue 01/19/09 3:20 pm PST

I have headers in my car.The mileage is horrible compared to stock. I am getting between 13-25 MPG on a car that is supposed to get 27-33 MPG. Do not do it.

Top Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Experts View More